Our site is currently functioning in BETA right now.

Please report all site issues to @stankywizard

Thank you and we hope you enjoy the community portal!

Happy Valentines Day!

Sign in to follow this  
Yarium

Shooty Lists of Khorne Thanks to new Relic!

4 posts in this topic

Have you seen the new Chaos Daemons codex for 40k or its previews? If you have, then you know that it's a good time to be a mother-fucking daemon! Daemons have had a number of issues in 8th edition, with a number of changes that really hampered them. As it is, Daemons have become something more of a support force for Chaos Soup, always giving something, but not really standing on their own. If you're looking for me to say that this all changes with the new Daemons Codex, I'm sorry to say, but you'd be mistaken. Oh, stand-alone Daemons are still DEFINITELY going to be a thing, simply because it's fun to do, but they're unlikely to make a big hit on the competitive scene.

But, what if I told you that there's a new Relic that not only is very powerful, but also changes one faction from being a one-trick pony into a two-trick pony! Feast your eyes on the new Khorne Hellforged Artifact:

Crimson-crown.jpg

So, upon cursory inspection, you probably are seeing something pretty similar to many other things in the game; extra attacks. You may notice one difference, but not quite it's importance. It doesn't trigger on hit-rolls, but rather on wound rolls. Also, unlikely almost everything else you've seen, you probably didn't notice that this doesn't just trigger in the Fight Phase...

Yeah, it triggers EVERY TIME.

Every. Single. Time.

You making attacks in close combat with +1 to wound because of Veterans of the Long War? It triggers. You shooting a Lascannon from a Defiler? It triggers. You firing Overwatch? It triggers. It triggers, it triggers, it triggers! These extra attacks are made with that same weapon, so yes, if your Khorne Obliterators get a to-wound roll of 6, that's going to be an extra shot from them. Take this relic and park it near the Lord of Skulls (which can also be Deep Striked for 2 Command Points like a boss), and all of a sudden you'll be doing absolutely insane amounts of damage.

So enjoy your new shooty Khorne lists! This may not be insanely good, but it's a powerful extra thing to include for something that Khorne needs to strength in anyways.

It is important to note that the rule of 1 applies, which mean your extra attack cannot in turn generate additional attacks. Also you mentioned Lord of skulls being able to deep strike, it has already been confirmed that in the Daemon FAQ that comes out shortly after the codex release this will be fixed to only allow Codex Daemon units to use this stratagem. This was confirmed by Reece from FLG who is an official paid play tester for GW, he also mentioned that people should not build this list to the LVO which means it will be fixed very quickly.

But on the topic of Khrone getting a shake up, I feel it is well deserved and allows for more versatile lists when building with Khorne compared to just trying to get in combat ASAP. I am excited to see what the Daemon codex has as a whole, but I am more excited for the Custodes codex coming very soon haha!

At first I thought this would get faq'd to be "in the Fight phase", but after thinking about it, I think this is just a useful extra tool rather than an OP option. It enhances the abilities of shooty things with the Daemon and Khorne keywords, but those are few and far between and aren't crazy powerful either. As such, I have a feeling this interaction will be allowed to continue.

I am super excited to play the new Daemons. It is shaping to be a great codex, I will admit the more competitive edge will exist when it is paired with their mortal brothers the Chaos Space Marines. That being said I am a daemon purist, so I will only be running lists that contain just daemons. As Kevin said that deep striking stratagem will be FAQed quickly, before LVO, my 2 ideas of how it will be FAQed will either be restricted to Daemon Faction codex daemons only, or will not be able to be used by Lords of War. I also really like that Khorne is getting some love, I am actually going to try some at a tournament next weekend. The deepstriking and 3d6 charge is crazy, add Skarbrand near by and its a party. Albeit an expensive party (5 CP). This relic is pretty sweet, however I am leaning towards the 4+ invul for Khorne Monster strat.