Our site is currently functioning in BETA right now.

Please report all site issues to @stankywizard

Thank you and we hope you enjoy the community portal!

Happy Valentines Day!

Sign in to follow this  
Capt. Thunderfawks

Forge the Narrative!

10 posts in this topic

Hey everyone, I have been in this hobby for a looong time and in that time i have worked for GW and been to many events. In all my years I have seen numerous armies and amazing conversions within those armies. I was recently told told by someone within the community that they were told that they COULDN'T build a model as it wasn't the same size as the model it was being built to represent. Now this person was told this by a fellow player which frankly astonishes me, this and the player doing the conversion plays Orks! Worst yet is that the player said folks wouldn't play against him because of his conversions. So here i am asking you as a community your thoughts on this. I have always felt that this hobby was here for everyone to enjoy and that we as players have always been encouraged to personalize our armies as we see fit and to think that there could be such Rules Lawyers out there saddens me. I feel like this is a slippery slope which can lead to only codex coloured armies, no mixing of armies, generic bases (shudders) and the list is endless to the point of copy and pasted armies on the boards and then whats the point in playing right.

The only problem i see with scale is the fact that he could hide it behind things that it normally wouldn't, i would always at least try and make my conversions as close to scale as possible. using a kneeling guy in a squad isnt so bad but lets say having all your guards men to be laying down as to not be shot on an objective is stretching it. but lets say someone showed up with a 4 dollar plastic tank form dollarama and said this is my bane blade. i wouldn't have a problem playing it.

I personally love conversions, so long as it's an actual conversion. I myself own a Baneblade that I converted into a Battlewagon. This was before the Orks got a Battlewagon model. However, the Battlewagon model GW released is a lot smaller. I've never faced an issue during regular games, but for any tournament I use it in, I need to first get TO approval (which I did get each of the three times I used it). Being bigger is useful, in 8th now more than ever, but I would hope people would look at it and say "yup, that's really awesome" and play against it. Size isn't so fixed in 40k. Just look at the size difference between the original Greater Daemon of Nurgle and the new ginormous one. 

For casual gaming I feel using conversions and the like is a great way to increase the fun! Many people in this hobby love the hobby aspect more then the gamin aspect. Not allowing a person to do what they like with the models they spend their hard earned money on does not seem right. I can't see a situation where I would refuse to play a person in a casual game due to their conversions, unless it was an obvious model for advantage situation. That being said when I say conversion I mean someone putting actual effort and time into a model, not showing up and my opponent using kids toys as their army.   

Tournament and competitive play is a whole different ball game however.  As @Yarium stated the most important thing is getting the T.O. / event organizers permission to be able to use the conversions. At bigger events WYSIWYG is very important, so your opponent can look at your model and see what it has. This allows them to make valuable in game decisions and saves time from asking, "what weapon option does the model have," "which models is the sergeant," and so on and so forth. Once a T.O. give you the ok on a model you are golden.

So, it all comes down to the situation at hand, for casual go nuts. If your casual opponent cares so much about winning their games that they wont let you use a model you obviously put time and effort into, you simply just don't play this person, find someone else to play against. For competitive play, it is a different mindset and you need to make sure you are in the parameters set out by the organizer and always ask questions before and do not wait for the day of the event. 

Hi Capt. Thunderfawks,

Your friend should absolutely be allowed to enjoy the hobby how they want to. If they want to model dang near anything any make it suitably Orky then the more power to them! My absolute favourite local counts as army is an Undead Adeptus Mechanicus army. Every single model is a kit bash, including Beliaus Cawl and an Imperial Knight. That army truly suits a theme and looks consistently amazing. That said, I am also free to enjoy the hobby how I want to. Part of how I want to enjoy the hobby is with good looking models. I don't need fantastic paint jobs, but I expect that Ork trukk to not be a child's toy covered in lazy plasticard work. The rest of my thoughts on the subject echo everyone else who have already replied.

Frankly, I think that it is silly that you have compared someone who does not share your own ideas as a Rules Lawyer. You seem to use the term as though it were the absolute gutter of the playerbase, which is not true at all. If you truly feel that this hobby is here for everyone to enjoy then you should be able to embrace the fact that some people may not share the same artistic sense as you do. I personally do prefer solo-faction armies that are painted to represent the rules that they are using. Does that make me a Rules Lawyer? Heck no! It makes me someone that is easily confused by the myriad of rules that I am confronted with. My bases are 100% green flock or static grass. Does that make me a Rules Lawyer? Heck no! It makes me the owner of an army with a consistent paint and basing scheme that I started in 2001, before the fancy bases were commonplace.

With respect, get off of your high horse and stop insulting those who have different hobby values than you do.

4 hours ago, MisterAG said:

That said, I am also free to enjoy the hobby how I want to.

You are absolutely right, though I also feel that we all interrupt the term Rules Lawyer differently. I would like to think that most people know that I support people and however they play or hobby...... my point was more along this line. This particular situation can also be played out like this...... if i bought a Raging Heroes Female commissar, the person in question would not allow me to use said model because it doesn't meet the same proportions of the GW commissar model. I'm not going to apologize though for saying that in my opinion i think its wrong for people to dictate what models can or can't be used in an army and if wanting people to use whatever models they have, bought or converted puts me on a high horse then I guess I'll just ride off into the sunset haha.

I am 100% fine with people using conversions, as long as they generally are close to the same size as the real thing. A raging hero commissar? Bring it on, a converted rhino to use as a trukk? Heck yes! A conversion that is half the size of the normal rhino? For tournaments not ok (IMO), for casual play heck yeah!

I'm with you. Bringing a Raging Heroes Female Commissar is a silly thing to take issue with.

Once again, it seems like everyone on here is on the same page - more or less!

For casual game play, bring anything to the match because to be honest we have an expensive hobby.  For a tourney, Good T.O's will have rules for conversions in regards to line of sight so it should hopefully never be an issue. 

Things are often not as they appear in the Warp, tiss better to just roll with it then try and make sense of it! Trying to do so will surely make one mad!!!!!!