Our site is currently functioning in BETA right now.

Please report all site issues to @stankywizard

Thank you and we hope you enjoy the community portal!

Happy Valentines Day!

MisterAG

The Phantom 3"

9 posts in this topic

Did you ever need an extra few inches to pick up an objective? Try the Fight Phase! If you call a long bomb charge that you don't plan on making you stay put in the charge phase, right? Well, even though you failed your charge you can still use the Fight phase to:

1) Chose a Unit to Fight With ("Any unit that charged or has models within 1" of an enemy unit can be chosen to fight in the Fight phase.")

2) Pile In (Move the unit 3" - even though it failed its charge?!)

3-5) You're not within 1" of anyone so ignore these

6) Consolidate (Move another 3" - WHAT?! Tell me there's an FAQ!)

So, even if you're whiffing on a 6" charge you can still walk forward and score several precious inches(provided you're always heading towards the closest enemy model)

What do you think?

Wow.

Never thought of this.  

Rules as written has it that the unit you chose as a charging unit is just that. Having charged.  Nothing says that if you fail the charge, you haven't actually charged. 

You know I will be exploiting this until it is FAQ-ed if it hasn't already.

My understanding was that if you failed your charge, you did not "charge". This was brought up before elsewhere online, and while there's a LOT of tricks you can do in close combat once you successfully charge, I don't believe the phantom 3 inches was one of them.

Charge Phase

4. Make Charge Move

Each model in the charging unit can move up to this number of inches - this is their charge distance this turn. THe first model you move must finish within 1" of an enemy model from one of the target units... If this is impossible, the charge fails and no models in the charging unit move this phase.

I guess @Yarium might be right?

5 minutes ago, MisterAG said:

If this is impossible, the charge fails and no models in the charging unit move this phase.

This is where the English language is a bitch.

Yes, it says that the charge fails. However, the sentence then  goes on and refers to the unit afterwards still as a charging unit. This suggests that the unit is still a unit that charged.

Wow Rules Lawyering right there.  I would then argue back it says right in the rule no models move in this phase.  Then we would either be dicing it or calling a TO if it was a tourney. 

@Buddha7305

I agree that no models move this phase. But the Fight phase is a separate phase from the Charge phase.

I'd never considered this myself, but noticed it online and thought to bring the nonsense over here too. I'm not sure what the right answer, just tossing the grenade out here to foster a conversation.

I am firmly of the opinion that if you fail your charge, then you are not counted as a charging unit, even though you were selected to charge. The next sentence just tells you to complete your movement for that unit (impossible for a unit that failed a charge, so the "movement" for that unit is "none"), and to proceed to select another eligible unit for making charge moves with.

While, yes, the English language is a bitch here, I think the intent is pretty clear. If you did start doing it this way, I'm pretty sure that you wouldn't want to get used to it, as almost for-sure GW would release an FAQ at the half-year point stating you'd be wrong to do so. If it did work this way, somewhere GW would have clarified "Yes, this means that you effectively cannot fail a charge against an enemy within 4 inches of your models."