Our site is currently functioning in BETA right now.

Please report all site issues to @stankywizard

Thank you and we hope you enjoy the community portal!

Happy Valentines Day!

MisterAG

The Emperor's Holy Screen

15 posts in this topic

There's another shot at challenging the common interpretations of the gameplay mechanics. We looked at the Phantom 3" last week, so on to another one!

It has occurred to me that the requirements for unit coherency only take affect when you have completed moving a unit. At the end of any move you need to make sure that all of the models in the unit are within at least one other model in the unit to a maximum distance of 2" horizontally or 6" vertically. Everyone agrees with this, right?

I was playing a game against a cagey Necron player last week who was keeping a unit of Immortals on his back line with the plan to Deep Strike them onto my side once my own rearguard was broken up. He was planning on jumping in 9" away from me and sniping my Wyveryn at the first opportunity. I, of course, kept my rear units spread at maximum coherency to blanket the backfield and shut down his deep strike. Spreading out like this, however, seemed to leave me vulnerable to my screen breaking at the first sign of casualties. If I were to take a few hits and remove models from my thin screen then deep strike openings would start to appear.

This got me thinking. What if I were to remove models from the MIDDLE of a stretched out unit? I could easily remove every second model from my conga line without compromising my deep strike 9" bubble. Sure, my unit might have a 4" gap in the middle of it, but as long as I don't move this shouldn't be a problem... Right?

That is 100% legal to do. Do note that you MUST move to achieve coherency IF POSSIBLE, and that would include Advancing. So, you need to have more than 26" between models in your unit before it becomes impossible for them to regroup. At that point your unit then becomes immobilised, and is unable to move at all.

Edited by Yarium

Interesting. This could also be used by a single group trying to hold two objectives.

1 hour ago, Buddha7305 said:

Can Immobilized troops still claim objectives?

Yes, for instance 1 adeptus custode even bubble wrapped by chaff can claim the objective due to being obsec (and overwriting everyone elses obsec). I hope that answers the question.

As per what @Yarium said, if they are out of coherency you have to move them so they are within in the next movement phase but nothing states you cant take "wounds" on models out of coherency.

Not the next movement phase, the next time the unit moves. That's the key! If I don't move it I can turn my unit into two disparate groups of immobile models. 

Custodes have Uber ObSec? 

1 minute ago, MisterAG said:

Not the next movement phase, the next time the unit moves. That's the key! If I don't move it I can turn my unit into two disparate groups of immobile models. 

Custodes have Uber ObSec? 

Do they ever.

As to how far apart you can space your objectives so that a conga line can no longer touch both, I will leave that as an exercise to the reader.

Just now, MisterAG said:

As to how far apart you can space your objectives so that a conga line can no longer touch both, I will leave that as an exercise to the reader.

I am pretty sure a unit can only control 1 objective at a time in 8th. I don't have my rulebook handy but this was the case in 7th. I actually haven't tried it this edition yet to be fair.

11 minutes ago, stankywizard said:

I am pretty sure a unit can only control 1 objective at a time in 8th. I don't have my rulebook handy but this was the case in 7th. I actually haven't tried it this edition yet to be fair.

As far as i am aware a unit can hold any number of objectives as long as they are within range...i think the rule says a unit controls based only on the number of MODELS within range...

Please correct me if i am wrong...i also dont have a rulebook with me at the moment....

Edited by Rashius
Bad wording

30 minutes ago, Rashius said:

As far as i am aware a unit can hold any number of objectives as long as they are within range...i think the rule says a unit controls based only on the number of MODELS within range...

Please correct me if i am wrong...i also dont have a rulebook with me at the moment....

Looks like you are right, so far no rules stating you can't this edition.

https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/744602.page

Hello conga lined gaunt units again =D

Also

A player controls an objective marker if they have more models within 3" of the center of it than their opponent.

The objective markers can be located anywhere on the battlefield, as long as the center of each is more than 12" from the center of any other objective marker.

so:

A large unit with spans 6" or larger on the table can easily contest two objectives.

A model which is 6" or larger (like a large vehicle) can park in between and contest two objectives.

Sounds cool...my brother's ork boyz spam list is better than i thought....

Dont know how much my ultrasmurfs will use this rule...but i am sure it will come up sometime...

Edited by Rashius
Stupid phone keyboard...

Aaron, whats hilarious is I was thinking about something similar in our game. My Necron Immortals in the back waiting to deepstrike were holding two objectives. I was wondering just how many models I could remove from the center and still hold both of those objectives. If you mentioned it in the game, I would have said sure, and smiled on the inside if I managed to use it against you!

Well, this may be hilarious, but it's really hard to achieve. Like I said, you have to get ridiculously far apart to be at a point where you're not advancing and getting within 2 inches of each other. That means you need to be both incredibly spread out, but also have suffered horrific casualties AND survived the Morale phase for this to work. So, yeah, it's possible, just not very likely. Hilariously, if you did achieve this and a unit overkilled one group of that unit on one side of the board, models on the other side of the board would die too.